Last week, I challenged the Scrum community to take the Nokia Test: a Scrum litmus test to deterimine whether a team is agile and doing Scrum. How did the Scrum community fare?
Protecting Team Members from Management is clearly the biggest challenge faced by Scrum Teams. Only 51% of the respondants claimed that their team members were well protected from Project Managers or others disrupting work.
Prioritized product backlog and burn down charts are second and third from the bottom at 72% and 74% respectively.
Interestingly, all three points are issues relating to managment and the product owner (who is likely part of management), suggesting that management buy-in is a challenge. Either Scrum adoption is coming bottom-up or management is “talking the talk” but not “walking the walk”.
On the total test score, only 26% of the respondants claimed an 8 on the Nokia scale. 36% claimed 7 points (total of 62% for 7 or 8 points). At least 7% did not meet the minimum definition of “agile”
Without question, doing Scrum is difficult. There was some discussion on the Scrum development group as to whether the Nokia test is hard enough. But even with this simple test, 3/4 of the teams in question are not doing Scrum. Or are they?
I have three issues with the Nokia test:
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-advertisement||1 year||Set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin, this cookie is used to record the user consent for the cookies in the "Advertisement" category .|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-analytics||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-functional||11 months||The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-necessary||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-others||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other.|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-performance||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance".|
|mailchimp_landing_site||1 month||The cookie is set by MailChimp to record which page the user first visited.|
|CONSENT||2 years||YouTube sets this cookie via embedded youtube-videos and registers anonymous statistical data.|
|_ga||2 years||The _ga cookie, installed by Google Analytics, calculates visitor, session and campaign data and also keeps track of site usage for the site's analytics report. The cookie stores information anonymously and assigns a randomly generated number to recognize unique visitors.|
|_gat_gtag_UA_42152348_1||1 minute||Set by Google to distinguish users.|
|_gcl_au||3 months||Provided by Google Tag Manager to experiment advertisement efficiency of websites using their services.|
|_gid||1 day||Installed by Google Analytics, _gid cookie stores information on how visitors use a website, while also creating an analytics report of the website's performance. Some of the data that are collected include the number of visitors, their source, and the pages they visit anonymously.|
|NID||6 months||NID cookie, set by Google, is used for advertising purposes; to limit the number of times the user sees an ad, to mute unwanted ads, and to measure the effectiveness of ads.|
|test_cookie||15 minutes||The test_cookie is set by doubleclick.net and is used to determine if the user's browser supports cookies.|
|VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE||5 months 27 days||A cookie set by YouTube to measure bandwidth that determines whether the user gets the new or old player interface.|
|YSC||session||YSC cookie is set by Youtube and is used to track the views of embedded videos on Youtube pages.|
|yt-remote-connected-devices||never||YouTube sets this cookie to store the video preferences of the user using embedded YouTube video.|
|yt-remote-device-id||never||YouTube sets this cookie to store the video preferences of the user using embedded YouTube video.|
|COMPASS||1 hour||No description|
|cookies.js||session||No description available.|
|S||1 hour||No description available.|
As some have previously pointed out, the so-called Nokia test is about the bare basics.
Nevertheless, I miss a key criterion for all Agile and Scrum teams: there is no test of collaborative working by the team.
In my experience this is the hardest lesson for Scrum teams to learn. Although smaller teams find it easier.
What do others think?